Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

For my birthday this year I decided to attempt to perfect my favorite cake to make (and eat). It's not perfect, though it's better than the last time I made it for a friends birthday several years ago. I started it on Monday, with a basic chocolate sponge cake. On Tuesday I made my chocolate mousse according to a recipe I perfected while I was in culinary school. It's the best chocolate mousse recipe I've ever used! I used an IKEA mixing bowl lined with plastic wrap as a mold and poured the chocolate mousse into it, placed the sponge cake on top, and froze it solid over the next couple of days. On Saturday, I made the shiny chocolate glaze, quickly flipped and un-molded the frozen cake and poured the chocolate glaze over it. This is the trickiest part, the last time I made it my glaze was too hot and partially melted the mousse. This time (in reaction to last time) I made the glaze too cool so it set up before it finished oozing over the entire cake. Despite the minor aesthetic failure, it was definitely a winner. Especially since I only used Valrhona chocolate and the best eggs and cream that western Washington has to offer (this is the other reason I don't make this cake often, it's not cheap!).

Without further ado, here is the infamous Giant Chocolate Bombe:

No comments:

Post a Comment