Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Savory Pie!

On Sunday we went over to our friends house for a breakfast pajama party. Riva made some awesome hand-held cheddar and broccoli pies ...something like these. They were crazy good, and watching Riva easily make pie dough, fill it, and bake it right in front of me made me wonder why I wasn't eating everything inside of pie dough! ...it's also been getting cold and rainy here, so perhaps the season also has sometime to do with my sudden lust for pies. Anyway, Monday night I made Italian sausage pot pie with a regular pie dough, then on Tuesday I decided to mix it up and use a biscuit dough.

I just used the standard Joy of Cooking recipe, cut in half:

1 cup All Purpose Flour
11/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/3 cup Milk

Meanwhile, I made a stew out of what we had lying around...

Pork cutlets seasoned with Alex's chili powder


Once the pork was good and brown, I deglazed the pan and added chopped onions, garlic, carrots, and peppers. Then I diced the cutlets and put them back in the pan with some chicken stock, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon. Everything simmered until the pork was tender and the stock had reduced down to a sauce.


While the stew stewed, I rolled out the biscuit dough about as thin as I could get it and laid it a baking dish. Then I finished the stew with a ton of chopped cilantro and transferred the it to the dough covered dishes...


...I wrapped the dough around the stew and liberally brushed the tops with garlic oil.


These baked at 375 until the tops began to brown!


Mmmmmmm pie!

P.S. Biscuit dough totally still tastes like biscuits even if it's disguised as a pie shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment