Friday, April 22, 2011

Inspirational Flavorgasm!

I've been putting cilantro, lime, and green onions on everything lately. What I didn't expect was how utterly incredible this combination would be with pork schnitzel and sauerkraut. First things first though, let's talk about schnitzel. It's just thinly cut meat, breaded, and fried. Here's how breading happens:

I mix a liberal amount of salt and pepper into both the bread crumbs and the flour. I then take a single piece of meat with my left hand, drop it in the flour and use my right hand to coat it in flour. Then I use my right hand to drop the floury meat into the egg. My left hand makes sure the piece of meat is coated in egg and moves it to the bread crumbs, where my right hand ensures the egg-y meat is coated in bread crumbs. All of this switching of hands keeps one hand for the wet things and one hand for the dry things, since this process gets messy fast. Meanwhile, heat up some oil or bacon grease:

When they were done frying, I put the schnitzels in a warm oven so they would stay warm and crispy while I made the sauce. For the sauce I sauteed red onions in butter, deglazed with demi-glace and then finished it with more butter, cilantro, green onion, lime, salt, and pepper. Then I put some schnitzel on a plate, topped with my sauce and Firefly Kitchen's Red Sauerkraut.

The sourness of the lime paired perfectly with the sourness of the sauerkraut, while the green onion and cilantro added a punch of green, the schnitzel provided a comforting crunch and the butter smoothed everything together. It was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment