Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Lettuce Cups

The first time I ever had lettuce cups was in high school when my buddies came to my cafe job as I was closing up the shop. They had arm-fulls of take-out from Garden Fresh and insisted that I stop everything and try the lettuce cups. They were amazing. A medley of deliciousness, delivered to the mouth via lettuce in hand. They transported me to another dimension where everything was lettuce cups, and everything was awesome. Somehow, those lettuce cups were so distracting that I walked away from the cafe that night with lights on and doors unlocked - I was shocked my boss didn't fire me for a careless teenage stunt like that, but thankfully, he didn't.

For some reason, I never really considered making lettuce cups myself. They were some sort of untouchable magic that only Garden Fresh was capable of. Then Alex decided to take the initiative to make lettuce cups a reality.

Lettuce Cups
Bibb Lettuce
......
Ground Beef
Garlic
Onion
Carrot
Sweet Peppers
Olive Oil
......
Chopped Fennel Greens
Dry Ground Fennel
Coriander
Berbere
Tumeric
Black Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt


Cut everything into a small dice. Saute the beef and veggies in olive oil until cooked and season with the fennel greens and spices.


Serve inside of bibb lettuce leaves and eat them with your hands (like a taco)!

No comments:

Post a Comment